Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 25, 2019, 10:48:32 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JK Front Seat Lowering  (Read 199 times)
VTJEEP17
Member 2019 VA4WD
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:20:14 PM »

So I'm not that tall 6'2'' but I have a dang giraffe neck and with the seat in the lowest position my head keeps hitting the speaker/roll bar.  If I cut and weld the seat bracket on my JKU (just height wise) will it still be able to slide back and forth?  Any one know of a drop bracket for the seat on JKs as I have not found any.  I might just need to buy a different seat all together.   Grab a Wrench!

Roger
Stock 17 JKU Chief Blue OM Edition
Huh...I didn't know it could do that.
DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »

6'2?  Add 1/2 a foot to that!  ROTFL  Not sure, but good luck!

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.
RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »

I am 6'1" and like you I'd really like to be able to lower the driver set an inch or two. I am just about eye level with the sun visor and if I am the first person at a traffic light there is no way I can see the traffic light without leaning into the passenger seat or wait for a notification from the cars behind me  Redfaced .

Before purchasing the JK I called the Jeep customer support line to find out if there was an option/after market seat configuration that lowered the driver's seat. The answer was no, followed by, "You know, you're the first person to have problem with the seat height, you must be really tall."  I think design team at Jeep is the same group that designs seating for United Airlines Economy Class.  Dunno?

If you find an answer please post.

PS: I did fix the "look at your feet" head rest configuration with a bottle jack, a piece of 3/4" plywood, & the Jeep's frame.

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
VTJEEP17
Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »

Yeah, it is time to probably just use my neighbors plasma cutter and take and inch or two off then weld a tab on to make up the difference for the offset.  When I get it done ill take a pic and post.

Roger
Stock 17 JKU Chief Blue OM Edition
Huh...I didn't know it could do that.
CliffordJR
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »

I had looked into this a good bit when I was looking to buy last summer (6'4"). It's one of the primary reasons I went JK instead of JL. There's the misch big boy brackets which give you a couple extra inches legroom moving back, but from what I read on various forums, not much in the way of added headroom. There's a forum post elsewhere where some guys did some cutting and welding or custom fab brackets to add an inch or two (google "I want to lower my seats in my 2010 wrangler").   

Personally, I found that I was more comfortable sitting slightly closer to the wheel that I thought I would, though I do find the bar with my head occasionally still and am always open to new solutions.

2018 JKU Rubicon
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: