Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 25, 2019, 10:16:58 AM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help - Need a new motor  (Read 465 times)
Jammer
Forum User
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

How many miles on your engine? You can probably freshen up the bottom end (new crank, bearings and oil pump ) for less than a grand

Jammer
Forum User
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »

You could always go with a Jasper so you get the warranty. PM me if you want a good shop to order through.

Jasper said they could recast it for 3600 and 4-6 weeks.  And that's with me sending it to them.

RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »

I had my 4.2L rebuilt for roughly $1,800 plus tax which included boring it .040 over (a lot of wear), new pistons & rings, new main & cam bearings, new oil pump, new timing chain & guides, new cam (high torque grind), crank turned, head decked (it was warped), head rebuilt, block & head magnafluxed (not sure if this is word). Of course that is the almost 2 years ago price, for what it is worth.  

was this a local shop that did the work?  of course ours is a 2.4 though.

Yes it is a local shop, Springfield Custom Auto Machine in Springfield VA just off of I-95 at Fairfax County Parkway. Give Lloyd Lovelace, the owner, a call at 703.339.4090 he is good guy to work with, knows his stuff, and stands behind his work.

Garner

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
dave2002ti
Member 2019
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »

Do not shop price! Buy the best engine you can afford or have rebuilt. Shopping price just brings grief. How long to you intend on keeping this Jeep?

I would have the shop in Springfield from the other post do the work. Local and been there for decades. If you have any problems they will be there.

Don't go cheap.  Man I still have nightmares about a July SCCA MARRS race at Summit Point. Temp in the 100's and dewpoint approaching 80 and tearing down an engine in buddy's GT3 Pinto that I was crew chief for.
Hell I did suspensions and brakes. He got a good deal on a rebuilt motor. Ugggh and we missed the August National with Paul and Tom Cruise that year. Used to pit right next to PLN. Two single guys and Newman and Cruise next to us.
The eye candy! We weren't competive at the National level in GT3 but it was worth entry fee and lots of ice and cold drinks for the ladies. My buddy switched to Spec Racer for the next season.

Dave Apker

nosigma
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 09:47:59 PM »

You need a crank and a tranny input shaft from what you described.

I have built over a dozen street, offroad, drag and personal motors.  Unless you have the skills to do a crank swap I strongly advise going Jasper for  the motor.  Go to High Tech on Rt 29 for the trans if the input shaft really needs replaced. The bushing is brass and unless you are a total arse both the crank and input should be fine. High Tech Transmissions is honest.

Do not do a swap to 4.0 or V8 unless  you have cash to burn. 

John
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:56:53 PM by nosigma »

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
Gzilla
Forum User
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 05:41:24 AM »

Dodge Hemi v8s swaps are nearly the same cost if you grab one with 50-60k miles on it.

Taking back your ex is like going to a garage sale and buying back your old stuff!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: