Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2019, 08:16:48 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best trailer camper for a JKU  (Read 285 times)
total2010
Forum User
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »

Hey everyone,

I recently got into camping and I was looking for a small 2 person trailer/tent to haul with my JKU. It's a 3.21 so I can't do anything heavy. I have an RS-10 rear bumper on it but the Jeep is sluggish as is. I don't have the budget to re-gear right now, so I'm not looking for something too heavy. What's the best tent/ trailer

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 04:44:28 PM »

Build your own, a 5x8 cargo trailer works well to. I been toying with this, so we can camp more remote.

That said if you wanna buy Aliner is my Favorite.

HighlanderCJ-7
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/657700911393127/

Not sure if this best though Very Happy

Scratch that. it just the annex for the tent  Rant Face

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

Quote from: Runner
A 3.73 ratio, or 4.10 for that matter, won't cut it with 32-33" tires and the 42RLE automatic.  4.88 is the sweet spot
total2010
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »

Aliners are amazing, however they're a bit pricey for me. I was wondering how much can I tow with a 3.21 JKU Sahara, the owners manual says 2k is the towing max but I feel like that's very underrated.

overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »

Aliners are amazing, however they're a bit pricey for me. I was wondering how much can I tow with a 3.21 JKU Sahara, the owners manual says 2k is the towing max but I feel like that's very underrated.

It's not. 2k is the max. And it feels sketchy with 2k on it

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
total2010
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »

Thatís very disappointing compared to the 4Runner and other SUVs. Do you know why JKUs have such low towing capacity compared to others? Iím curious...

jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »

That’s very disappointing compared to the 4Runner and other SUVs. Do you know why JKUs have such low towing capacity compared to others? I’m curious...

The problem is your gearing. With the 3.73's and 4.10's they are rated to tow 3500 pounds.

Jeff

2013 Unlimited Sahara, Gecko Green
AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »

Thatís very disappointing compared to the 4Runner and other SUVs. Do you know why JKUs have such low towing capacity compared to others? Iím curious...

Gearing, and over all design. It's easier to have something tow heavier when the top and doors don't come off.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
total2010
Forum User
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »

The problem is your gearing. With the 3.73's and 4.10's they are rated to tow 3500 pounds.

Not just the gearing... compared to other SUVs like the 4runner for example is up to 5k towing capacity, 1.5k more than the highest stock gear of the JKU

total2010
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:50 PM »

Gearing, and over all design. It's easier to have something tow heavier when the top and doors don't come off.

That's a good point!

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: