Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2019, 07:54:16 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TJ/LJ Steering  (Read 369 times)
Runner
Member 2019
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:49:21 AM »

During the last couple off-road outings it's become clear that I'm going to need a steering pump/box upgrade.  The current setup, Currie Correctlync, and stock steering pump/box has worked fine for years.  However, with the addition of the beadlocks and the new heavier 35" tires I'm frequently having issues where I can't turn the wheels at all when in the rocks.  I know this topic has been covered before, but I'd appreciate any real world experience and product recommendations.

For what it's worth, I've spent a fair amount of time looking at options and the only one that seems to be favorable is PSC.  I've talked to several knowledgeable TJ/LJ experts and they've confirmed the choices are very limited.  Even mrblaine seems to validate this (see post #13). However when I look at PSC, reviews are mixed.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/power-steering-box-options.4111/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:07:37 AM by Runner »

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
jdavis2nd
Club Member at Large
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »

Here are my thoughts background:

I had the full PSC kit on the JK and always had a slow leak at the reservoir fittings despite trying several different brands of AN fittings. It drove me crazy! Spending that kind of money on a steering kit only to deal with a leak was so disappointing. Reading reviews about PSC from others it seems people have zero problems or people with constant problems. R3 can chime in but after talking to him this weekend he's had a few issues with his PSC kit as well (although he's not running a ram).

I swore that on my next Jeep I would just do the Redneck Ram kit from WTO. It's just fraction of the price and retains all the OEM components.

Here I am with a JL and what I found to be a horrible OEM steering system. Not being able to turn the wheel halfway through Pritchett Canyon in Moab is super super stressful.

The PSC kit cost even more for the JL than the JK. The Redneck Ram kit is about half the cost of the PSC instead of 1/4 the price it was for the JK. Ultimately I want to get rid of my electronic steering pump for traditional belt driven pump so I bit the bullet and ordered the PSC again. Should be delivered this week.

Yes, PSC can have its issues but from everyone I've talked to they stand behind their product and will get you replacement parts ASAP. There aren't many players in the hydro assist kit world so PSC is the best. However, the Redneck Ram could be  a great option for you as well. Either way hydro assist is amazing and you will grinning ear to ear when you can turn the wheel in the most difficult spots.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »

Given I'll likely never go any bigger than 35" tires I wasn't thinking about a ram assist.  I'm primarily thinking about upgrading the box and pump.  The challenge is that re-manufactured boxes are problematic and there's only one option for a new box, PSC.  Given the price of the box is $900 this makes the upgrade a hard pill to swallow. Especially if you replace the pump at the same time.  This adds another $600 to the price tag. The only thing I do know is that the stock box isn't up to the task and will fail as some point. 

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
jdavis2nd
Club Member at Large
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »

Ahh...well, I've heard the dodge Durango box is the way to go.

Seriously though even if they are "just" 35s, ram assist is sweet...just saying.

Edit after thinking some more. Cost is a concern and stock pump isn't up to the task. Call West Texas Offroad and talk to them about the ram kit. It's like $500-600 I think. The pump and or steering box strength won't be a concern anymore.

Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 08:56:32 PM »

The Durango box works only with '97 - '02 model years.  For the 2003 - 2006 TJ/LJ Jeep switched to the Mercedes box.  I could re-drill the frame and use the Durango box, but I don't want to go down that road.  I'll give WTO a call this week and see what they have to say.  My concern at this point is that my box may be damaged. Based on what I read so far, they need a working box to rebuild.

overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »

I shredded the mid level psc box on "just 35s" upgraded to the taped big box and pump and I couldn't be happier. The only reason I didn't do a ram is the vac connect d30 doesn't really make it easy to mount the ram and not crack the axle. You're more than welcome to come test drive the set-up on the yj once it's back on the road.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 09:02:11 PM »

The Durango plow box is a great upgrade but they can be hot or miss to get a good one reman. They could be really loose and sloppy right out of the gate

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
jdavis2nd
Club Member at Large
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »

The Durango box works only with '97 - '02 model years.  For the 2003 - 2006 TJ/LJ Jeep switched to the Mercedes box.  I could re-drill the frame and use the Durango box, but I don't want to go down that road.  I'll give WTO a call this week and see what they have to say.  My concern at this point is that my box may be damaged. Based on what I read so far, they need a working box to rebuild.
Gotcha, didn't get too involved in my TJ besides just keeping it running (and it was many years ago now) so I really don't know to much about the differences between the years.

Hopefully you will come up with an easy solution

R3
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »

Here are my thoughts background:

I had the full PSC kit on the JK and always had a slow leak at the reservoir fittings despite trying several different brands of AN fittings. It drove me crazy! Spending that kind of money on a steering kit only to deal with a leak was so disappointing. Reading reviews about PSC from others it seems people have zero problems or people with constant problems. R3 can chime in but after talking to him this weekend he's had a few issues with his PSC kit as well (although he's not running a ram).

I swore that on my next Jeep I would just do the Redneck Ram kit from WTO. It's just fraction of the price and retains all the OEM components.

Here I am with a JL and what I found to be a horrible OEM steering system. Not being able to turn the wheel halfway through Pritchett Canyon in Moab is super super stressful.

The PSC kit cost even more for the JL than the JK. The Redneck Ram kit is about half the cost of the PSC instead of 1/4 the price it was for the JK. Ultimately I want to get rid of my electronic steering pump for traditional belt driven pump so I bit the bullet and ordered the PSC again. Should be delivered this week.

Yes, PSC can have its issues but from everyone I've talked to they stand behind their product and will get you replacement parts ASAP. There aren't many players in the hydro assist kit world so PSC is the best. However, the Redneck Ram could be  a great option for you as well. Either way hydro assist is amazing and you will grinning ear to ear when you can turn the wheel in the most difficult spots.

I do have a full PSC ( No Ram) system on my JKURR.  but it was a pieced together  unit. I have bigger lines then the "kit" and a huge cooler. The box is a "big bore". Initial issues was cavitation in the  Pump. turned out the feed hose  was always coming loose... Had to tighten at least one a month.  Next was  the fluid was over heating. initial single pass cooler was not enough to cool return flow from the box. Next issue was solely on me. The grille inset to keep bugs and gravel out of the radiator was not allowing enough air flow  to the coolers.  Removed the cool  insert and temps came down to tolerable.  Like John had issues with the AN fitting at the reservoir, after a couple sets from PSC the issue was fixed.  AN fittings  if they are tool loose they leak, if they are too tight , they leak.  I used a bit of thread sealer on the threads of both reservoir fittings and leak was solved.   

On the street, the PSC full system works very well and is very quiet. On the trail  about 6 hours in the system get very hot and begins to get noisy.  I believe that some of the Noise is from the previous issues with cavitation and the feed line.  Long and short high pressure  hydraulics makes noise when used  for long duration. the OEM pump is running around 1200-1300 PSI where as the PSC pump is running at 1700-1800 psi. The pump is not physically bigger  just has a bigger pulley on it to "over clock" the pump to get more pressure out of it.  You can Run a Stock pump with the big bore box...

At some point in time I might look into a cylinder to add to the system, but as is the PSC system works pretty well for my application and provides  the assurance that I will not break a selector shaft deep in the trails.

Cheers

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
EVO long arms and King Coil overs
37 BFG KM3
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »

Ive been in this situation before.  Call west Texas off road.  Keep your stock box, pump and add a 1.5 ram.  You will not regret it.

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »

I spoke to Justin at WTO yesterday.  He was very informative and answered a bunch of my questions.  Especially with regards to stock Mercedes box in the 03 - 06 models.  I plan to do a little more research and then order the Redneck Ram.  The only question I have now is whether to send them my box or just have them send me one.  My box isn't leaking, but there's definitely something not right with it!

Gogged
Member 2019
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 04:22:26 AM »

I spoke to Justin at WTO yesterday.  He was very informative and answered a bunch of my questions.  Especially with regards to stock Mercedes box in the 03 - 06 models.  I plan to do a little more research and then order the Redneck Ram.  The only question I have now is whether to send them my box or just have them send me one.  My box isn't leaking, but there's definitely something not right with it!

I spoke to him a few weeks ago ref JL kits and he was extremely patient and helpful also. What's the price difference on the TJ?

2018 JLUR 3.5" Metalcloak lift, 37s

'06 TJ Sport...sold..

V.P. Black Goat Offroad Club
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »

I spoke to him a few weeks ago ref JL kits and he was extremely patient and helpful also. What's the price difference on the TJ?

He quoted me $599 for the Ram, $150 to $400 to rebuild my Mercedes steering box, and $85 for shipping.  Which totals a maximum of $1084.  At that price though I'd have to consider PSC.  For $1600 I'd get a new HD steering box and pump from them.  I could always add the Ram later, if needed.   Duh

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: