Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 14, 2019, 10:29:26 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Second battery or other?  (Read 970 times)
jrussbowman
Forum User
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:22:37 PM »

For extra power on an extended road trip would a dual battery with inverter work for a couple hours of laptop usage for video editing and phone charging? Or is there other solutions I should consider?

AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »

Yes. Make sure you have an inverter that will work with you power supply. You may need a pure sine way inverter. Better still is having a 12volt converter to whatever input you need. There are 12volt power cords for most laptops.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
schreiberaj
Member 2019
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:52:39 AM »

The first time I did a dual battery setup I had the batteries bridged through a manual switch and then one day I ended up having two dead batteries (I left the switch on the dual battery mode vs one or the other) and couldn't start my truck.... Lesson learned was use a battery isolator to eliminate human error, and consider making your second/auxiliary battery a deep cycle.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 05:56:47 AM by schreiberaj »

RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »

The first time I did a dual battery setup I had the batteries bridged through a manual switch and then one day I ended up having two dead batteries (I left the switch on the dual battery mode vs one or the other) and couldn't start my truck.... Lesson learned was use a battery isolator to eliminate human error, and consider making your second/auxiliary battery a deep cycle.

I second this recommendation - check out the Blue Sea web site they have a lot of good technical information on multi-battery installation and operations. Their products are top quality, reasonably priced with products  for marine, industrial, & vehicles.

https://www.bluesea.com/

Garner

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »

A dual battery set up is a waste of money in my opinion. With the engine running the battery is only used to absorb voltage spikes. Most police cars are equipped with a single battery but larger alternator and look at how many extra electronics they run. A factory set up is more than enough for a small inverter. 

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »

A dual battery set up is a waste of money in my opinion. With the engine running the battery is only used to absorb voltage spikes. Most police cars are equipped with a single battery but larger alternator and look at how many extra electronics they run. A factory set up is more than enough for a small inverter. 
I regularly run a 400 watt inverter on a all stock vehicle and the inverter is probably overkill to run all kinds of things including recharging my laptop. I've forgotten to unplug the inverter charging the laptop overnight and still had plenty of juice to start the vehicle. Don't need dual batteries unless you have a isolated 2nd battery to run the inverter just to be on the safe side but it shouldn't be needed.
The dual batteries in my truck is enough to run my 1500 watt inverter and my house refrigerator for at least most a day. You can do the math easy enough. You have to start by knowing the average amp draw you need. A laptop doesn't need much.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »

Don't forget when doing your "energy audit" that a starter battery should only be discharge 40%, deep cycle 50%, and an AGM 65-70%. So a 70 Amp/hr starter battery only has about 30 usable Amp/hrs before recharging is advised. Discharging batteries below these thresholds will damage the battery significantly reducing its expect life.

These numbers will vary a little by battery manufacture but this a good rule-of-thumb.

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
jrussbowman
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »

I'm going to have to teach myself more about electricity and how to figure out requirements. My laptop is really a desktop replacement gaming PC that's several years old and has a huge brick, I'll have to check the specs on that and figure it out from there. Thanks everyone, you gave me enough that I think I can go research now.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 12:24:17 PM »

FYI - computers run off of 3 - 5 volts DC mostly, some even lower.  That's why the energy requirement is so low.  Your laptop power supply should reflect this in it's output on the sticker or embossment.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

YouTube is your friend here. Lots of folks from Australia have pretty incredible electronic systems and give detailed overviews on the specs for it all. Personally I'm a fan of Ronny Dahl of 4 Wheeling Australia. I know he has a couple videos which go over stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Skipperart
Forum User
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 06:46:45 AM »

Anyone has schematics from  the  alternator, isolator and dual batteries?
I will try to do this on Sunday.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: