Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 14, 2019, 10:24:48 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Diff truss + diff skid compatibility  (Read 132 times)
Ta Tonka
Member 2019
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »

Recently trussed my rear diff and now the AEV diff skid is not compatible anymore unless I modify both the skid and my truss, which I would rather not do.

I wanted a skid back there not because Iím worried about the diff itself, rather it was the protection offered by the skid to the lower driveshaft joint that I liked.  Any thoughts that such protection was not necessary were countered by the Rock gouges that I found on the ds joint end of the diff skid and my Evap skid.  
Looking around at the other options I have found so far I see that the Rancho unit offers no such DS protection. The Rough Country diff skid does protect the same area and would be compatible with a truss so Iíd love to hear from anyone running that.

My concerns with the RC unit center on its use of the diff cover mounting bolts and whether or not the bolt holes themselves could be damaged if Iím banging the skid on the rocks. It also looks like a PITA to mount. Anyone?

Are there any other options Iím missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:00:53 AM by Ta Tonka »

majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »

Lots of design aspects to be considered, but is it not possible to drill holes in the truss so you could use the same u bolts that came with the skid? From the looks of it (admittedly hard to get a good feel for the dimensions from just pictures) you'd only be drilling two holes, one on each upper side of the axle tube into the truss. If you'd prefer to avoid drilling holes for strength reasons, could you weld studs to the truss and tabs with studs underneath the tube to bolt the skid to? The concern about installing studs would be that impacts on the skid could translate force to the truss, but I would think it could hold it. On the driver side it appears you'll experience clearance issues between the vertical support of the truss and the bracket on the skid, but you may be able to clearance it enough with a grinder without impacting overall strength of the truss very much.

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »

I would cut and modify the skid to attach to the truss via tabs & bolts. Welding tabs to both and bolting them together would allow it to be removed if need be for other maintenance or if the skid got fubar'd on the trails, it could be removed, IE pushed into the drive shaft.

HighlanderCJ-7
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: