Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 14, 2019, 11:38:56 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snorkel or nah  (Read 323 times)
total2010
Forum User
« on: November 07, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »

Thinking about getting a snorkel but is it really necessary? Do you ACTUALLY get cooler air and better performance, or is it just cool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:21:01 PM »

Whole bunch of nope from me.

Jeep Freak
Website Committee/TRC
BOD
Jeep Jedi
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 11:20:06 PM »

unless the type of wheeling you do routinely has you fording deep water, then a snorkel probably isn't necessary for you. 

'93 YJ SOA on 36s
'13 JKUR
Iceman
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:45:51 AM »

Big no here. Spend that money elsewhere... like skids and rocker armor.

-Clayton
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:58:10 AM by Iceman »

cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »

Absolutely not.

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
mopar31898
Member 2019
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:21:14 AM »

I believe there is one on the market that is supposed to cut down on dust you take in to your air filter. I don't remember the company but there are some guys out west in the desert that swear by it for that reason. So I guess it could be beneficial if you spend a lot of time in the dust.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »

Big no here. Spend that money elsewhere... like skids and rocker armor.

-Clayton

In my opinion, I agree with Clayton and Aaron's thoughts.  "Unless the type of wheeling you do routinely has you fording deep water, then a snorkel probably isn't necessary for you."  Spend the money on something else your rig really needs.  Let us know what you end up doing!   Cheers

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
total2010
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »

Iím most likely going to hold off for now, as Clayton said, the cost is way too high for no or minimum gain. I would get one if I ever get assigned overseas, though! Seems like it would help keep the dust out of the air box.

dave2002ti
Member 2019
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »

Question with the snorkel and other aftermarket air filters and systems is how many real CFMs are you getting and the bigger question is how much does filter really filter.
Increased CFMs maybe the result of an air filter that isnt filtering out all the small particles that can damage your engine. Great on race truck or car since the engines are rebuilt. Not good on your vehicle.
K&N filters and systems are notoriousfor great CFM numbers but not filtering out as much crap as a stock filter.

And on the other end exhausts do need some back pressure to work.

Also remember any claimed so called dyno gains are suspect and the only thing that really matters is the stop watch.

Any one remember birfucating(sic) venturies which was the hot ticket for headers and exhaust manifolds back in the late 70's.

And chips and now tuners. Its the area under the hp and torque curves and not the peak numbers.  Again back to stop watch. I remember when Autothority wanted to use my 90 325i to develop a chip in the early 90's.  They wanted me to sign a dyno waiver? No. End of conversation. I knew the owner Al Collins for over decade then but no sorry no deal.

Dave Apker

Oakton Bubba
Member 2019
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 12:58:56 PM »

I have a Snorkel on my 2013 JK because of getting into deep water in the OuterBanks after big NorEasters and stuff (used to go to the OBX Pirate Mutiny Jeep get together there). At first I had the intake facing forward like everyone else and noticed that my mileage dropped about 2 mpg, so then I turned it facing toward the back and my mileage went back to normal. So being a long time car guy and racer, the conclusion is that when facing forward it pushed in more air and the FI compensated by injecting more fuel, hence some level of more power but at the cost of MPG. I am ok with my current power level and since this is a daily driver, I'd rather have more MPG's.
There is also the fact that I have hit some water that crested over the hardtop like a bow wave on a boat and I felt less would get crammed into the snorkel, same thing with just general rain.

R3
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 07:05:28 PM »

Thinking about getting a snorkel but is it really necessary? Do you ACTUALLY get cooler air and better performance, or is it just cool?

To answer your questions.
Necessary.... Depends on where you wheel. Seen and rescued a few rigs now that have played heartedly in big water puddles... More than one ended up ingesting water and hydro locked the motor.  If you don't play in deep water... Then it is not required.

Cooler air... Lots of ways to get that... snorkel can be a way to do so. Some say dyno tests yield lower numbers.... I can not confirm this as these folks never provide that information.  Depending on the manufacturer... Yes you get cooler outside air to the motor... Under hood temps on a JK are pretty hot...the draw is from a 6 inch slot above the right headlight. Also the water ingestion point.

I run a snorkel. I have not noticed a Delta in fuel mileage. Yes it remained the same. Performance, is just seat of the pants impression... Slight feeling of improvement... Again this is not measured with anything other than running the same roads day after day.

I do find that the air filter stays cleaner than the OEM.

The better built units (AEV) run straighter tubing atop The right fender. Straighter is less restricted. Mine runs thru the cowl and along the inside of the wheel well..

So why do I run a snorkel?  Spent a couple years in the land down under. They run these on the road trains and almost every off road rig. The concept is to provide cleaner air. 

My filter is cleaner with a snorkel than without.

Just before buying this Jeep I rescued a co-worker that hydro locked is 4 day old Jeep... Turned into a engine replacement.... Remembering this and knowing my perpensitity to tackle any challenge... I looked at it as a worthwhile investment.

So this addresses your questions.

Depending on what challenges you are willing to take on it might be a good investment... If you are looking for better performance... There is no cheap quick fix.

Cheers
Rob

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
EVO long arms and King Coil overs
37 BFG KM3
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
46and2
Forum User
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 11:01:16 PM »

could also check out something like this new low profile option to escape potential under hood splash risk from minor water obstacles:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/xhd-snorkel-system-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

I was surprised that on the Fall Foliage ride one of our crew was steaming pretty bad with water all across the hood roof, and mud splotches down in his air intake from a basically nothing puddle on the trail - got me thinking... this gets the benefit of the cleaner air without the risk of the hood wash

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: