Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
January 19, 2020, 06:02:47 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Website Transition  (Read 532 times)
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« on: December 30, 2019, 06:13:07 PM »

New year approaching and with a little luck we were able to get the forum migrated and updated.  The content was migrated from 12/28, anything since then will not be populated at the new site.  Please start using the new forum immediately. And report problems to me.

https://forum.novajeepers.com

Big Ticket Items:
-No More .NET, everything novajeepers will be under the .COM
-SSL for everything
-SMF 1.x updated to SMF 2.0.  This is probably the biggest change as the forum software will look different with the base white/blue template and have the updated menu feel with the 2.0 update. 
-.COM features a WordPress front end instead of an EzPortal Mod front page

TapaTalk hit a snag and will be updated as soon as we can.

I'm duplicating this thread there.

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 06:14:13 PM »

Also worth noting is that the .NET will only be around for another 20 or so days. The hosting expires on the 26th of Jan and we will not be extending it.

DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 12:28:20 PM »

Big Ticket Items:
-SSL for everything
-SMF 1.x updated to SMF 2.0.  This is probably the biggest change as the forum software will look different with the base white/blue template and have the updated menu feel with the 2.0 update. 

Hey Sean, please forgive my ignorance or lack of computer knowledge, but what is the difference between .net and .com?  What is SSL and SMF?  And what is the difference between a WordPress front end and anEzPortal Mod front page?  52 years old and I don't understand a lot about technology!  Thank you sir!

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.
unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »

Big Ticket Items:
-SSL for everything

Hey Sean, please forgive my ignorance or lack of computer knowledge, but what is the difference between .net and .com?  What is SSL and SMF?  And what is the difference between a WordPress front end and anEzPortal Mod front page?  52 years old and I don't understand a lot about technology!  Thank you sir!

Mike,

No worries, let me do my best to explain. As far as the webpage extension, the .net was stood up way back in the day when the .com was having terrible stability issues from being a custom variant of forum software. The website team opted for a .net at the time. Then this became the main and only site. It being a .net really didnít make sense as it didnít match the normal intent of .net extensions on the web. Going back to a .com is long overdue and better fits with web standards. 

SSL is the cert required to make the site https vs http. This helps improve our search tank and secures the transport layer between your web client and the server. Granted as we arenít processing payments, itís not a huge deal for securing, but again lines up with where things are going these days. 

SMF is short for Simple Machines Forum, itís the open source software we run that does all the heavy lifting for the forum. We had been running on the 1.x now we are at 2.x. 1 was deprecated completely by the developers so we can get updates now. Key for security updates.

WordPress is a content management system that is overwhelming popular now to build websites. It doesnít integrate with SMF but makes it easy to store all the club stuff needed to better inform members Omanís prospective members on club information.

Sean

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:11:12 PM »

Reminder this site is ending in a couple weeks. Please transition to the new forum.

Forum.novajeepers.com

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:56:17 PM »

In an effort to force the transition, we have made this entire forum read only. At least I think I clicked the right buttons to do so...

Irish_Wake
Member 2019
Arlington, VA
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »

In an effort to force the transition, we have made this entire forum read only. At least I think I clicked the right buttons to do so...
I can still post here  Shocked But the new forum is not loading for me.  Going to novajeepers.com and clicking on the forum gives me a generic database error with no code (error on the SMF template). Trying to log in times out.  When I click a direct link or navigate to forum.novajeepers.com it just doesn't load anything for me

-Patrick

2000 TJ Sport
Rubicon D44 Rear with factory locker | Open D30 front | 4.10
Rubicon 241OR Rocktrac Transfer case
2.5" OME Springs & Shocks | JKS 1.25" Body lift
33x12.5r15 Falken Wildpeak M/T01
DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »

So long .net!  Thanks to you, and the friends I have made over the years, for taking care of this noob since February 2012!  Jeep Wave

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: