Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 22, 2014, 01:12:41 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XJ Tire size: cut-out flares with stock suspension  (Read 1140 times)
dmharvey79
Forum User
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »

Just wondering what the largest tire size would be possible with Bushwhacker cut-out flares on a stock suspension setup. Thanks!

AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:18 AM »

I think stock tires are 29". Maybe you can go to 30-31"
You'll need a 4.5" lift to go to 33" tires with the bushwacker cut-out flares.
Even then you're gonna have some rubbing off-road.

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. (2) CJs & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
Vote against all incumbent politicians and set term limits for the rest.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
nosigma
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »

Just wondering what the largest tire size would be possible with Bushwhacker cut-out flares on a stock suspension setup. Thanks!

After a couple of wheeling trip the bushwhackers wont be an issue.  They are way more brittle than the stock flairs and will snap right off so you wont have any clearance problems from them.  Seems that folks who have them and wheel rate them as one of the Worst mods they every did. There are some folks who like them, but they seem to be in the minority. Search NAXJA mod tech forum.

The stock flares will not be an issue.  On stock rims the tires dont reach out to the flairs.  Lift and clearance inside the wheel wells will be your problem, flares wont do anything to fix that.
I would run 235 75 R15's and put the money into a transfer case skid and gas tank skid (stock or aftermarket) if you dont have it.

My jeep had 235 75 R15's on zero lift when I got it.  Those tires were fine with no lift and with a simple 2" lift, bastard pack, stacked isolators up front and ZJ V-8 coils.  When I went to 31's I bumped up to 4.5" and added adjustable lowers, an adjustable track bar and a transfer case drop which I switched out to an SYE a few months later to gain back the lost clearance.

John

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
nosigma
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

I didnt really answer your question:

Stock suspension :  You can jam 31's in there but they will hit on everything and get torn up.  235 75R15 is about the limit and even then they will rub on the inside of the fender wells from time to time but not bad.

John

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
dmharvey79
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies. My friend is buying an XJ and he'd like to go up in tire size a little, maybe 31" or 32". He plans to do very little off-roading so I was thinking maybe something like a Bushwhacker or Rusty's cut-out flare would be an option, never messed with cut-outs myself so I wasn't what the gains might be in the wheel wells and the idea of a lower overall stance struck me as an interesting option. Given the cost of after-market flares I'm guessing a 2" lift would probably be the best way to go.

On another note, if you know of somebody who's selling a clean XJ in the NOVA area shoot me an email at dmharvey79(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll forward it along to him, he's ready to buy when he finds the right one...

Search
Club Member at Large
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:28:01 AM »

I had the bushwackers on my old XJ. Took me almost an entire weekend to install and was a tremendous pain in the ... and in the end, I didn't dislike them, but the gains were no where near what I'd hoped. I would not do that mod on an XJ again

'06 LJ on 35s
'06 WK
'13 Durango
dmharvey79
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:11:07 AM »

The more I hear about the Bushwhacker flares the more I think I'd stay clear of them...plus the price is pretty steep. Anyone have experience with Rusty's flares? I was thinking about swapping out my factory flares at some point in the future but only if its a step forward.

nosigma
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »

Not sure if I made it clear earlier, the flares will do NOTHING to help you fit larger tires on an XJ unless you are changing back spacing.  You are not going to be hitting the stock flares unless your friend buys some "cockroach" wheels with a 1 or 2 inch back space.  A 31 on stock wheels (cast or steel) will stuff and not hit the flares.  With no lift the tires will hit almost everything else though. 

John

Quote overhead
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: