Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 23, 2019, 06:00:40 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adventurous 4x4 Giveaway - RE 2" JK Budget Boost (Sept 2010)  (Read 6505 times)
ravinejk
Forum User
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »

Rubicon Express 2” Budget Boost Installation and Review

The following is my product review of the Rubicon Express 2” Budget Boost I won during the September Giveaway. And before I get started, a huge thanks to Randy at adventurous 4x4 for this great giveaway, his help, knowledge, great prices and value he offers. Also, a big thanks to all who helped me at the Oct. 9th wrenching party.

Ratings: 0 - 5 (poor - very good)
Quality of product---------4
Install and Instructions----3
Ride----------------------4
Value---------------------5
Vendor--------------------5

Quality of product (score 4)
The lift kit came with RE monotube shocks that appear to be built to high quality standards, QA stickers on every part and labeled very well on the parts and on boxes. I did not see any areas where the product could really be improved.

Install and Instructions (score 3)
So, the install did not go as fast as expected. I wasn’t timing it, but I believe we went from about 10:45 AM - 3:00 PM, not rushing and taking our time. The instructions were satisfactory with descriptions and B&W photos. I also looked on-line and found a few installs on the forums.

A few key points to make, in addition to the instructions.
-The monotube shocks requires re-using the sleeve from the front shock and bar pin from the rear shock (this is probably the most complicated part of the install). Pulling the sleeves out or putting the bar pins in is not easy. Having some extra sleeves is not a bad idea to start with. I would also suggest carefully grinding down the bar pins that are already installed on the shocks, that is much easier then pulling them out and re-installing them from the OEM shocks. We pierced the inside of one of the bushings when trying to install the bar pin.

Fabricating the bar pin red neck style, don't try this at home kids!

-Other key point, was regarding the installation of the self tapping bolt that holds the front bump stop. Make sure to take your time in centering it, use a small bit to start with and get up to the 5/16” hole carefully. Having a smaller drill to fit is also helpful so you can get a vertical hole. You need to be careful when drilling the self tapping bolt, we were told by others that past experiences of the self tapping screw became stuck and the head ripped off, making for an unpleasant situation. Take your time, get a good start on the self tapping bolt, let it bite and it should go in smoothly.

Front driver with no wheels, spring shocks ready for the install.

Eddie installing the front passenger shock

Front driver shock installed along with bump stop

Front driver with new wheels and 35" Goodyear Duratrac tires.

Driver rear with shock and spring removed ready for install

And a few suggested modifications not suggested in the instructions.
-Be sure to trim the front wind fender under the front bumper by a few inches.
-I also would suggest trimming your OEM Rubicon rock gaurds in the rear by 2” along with a diagonal cut on the body to ensure there is no tire rubbing on the rear. If you don’t complete this you will surely experience a little rubbing with 35” tires when riding off road and articulating.

Ride (score 4)
The ride actually improved from the stock Rubicon shocks, it feels a little stiffer on corners. Note: this included the new 35” Duratrac tires too. The alignment appears to have not been messed up at all after a quick test drive. Offroad on a fire road with some light rocks, the drive felt great, no apparent rubbing either.

Value (score 5)
I originally gave this a score of 4, but after the off road ride raised it to a 5. For the money, I think this lift does a great job. My Wife has the MOPAR 2” Peformance lift with bilstein shocks, springs, control arms, steering stabilizer, etc.... and goes for $1599.99. So, far I have not noticed a huge difference in the drive and we are both driving 2010 JK Unlimited Rubicons. Maybe over time I will see some difference.

Vendor (score 5)
Randy Woods, Owner of http://www.adventurous4x4.com provided the lift as a prize for the NOVA Jeepers September Monthly Giveaway. When I won the lift I called Randy and instead of just saying congratulations and hanging up, he jumped right into discussing the lift, installation and answering all my questions making sure I was prepared to get it installed properly and thought through everything. I originally was going to install the lift and use the Rubicon tires/wheels for awhile, but couldn’t resist and had to give Randy another call to line up new wheels and 35” Goodyear Duratrac tires which he gave me a great price on. To exceed my expectations, Randy drove 2 hours to deliver my new wheels/tires 2 days before we had our big wrenching party to install the lift which was a huge bonus. And last but not least, the day after Randy knew I had installed everything I got another phone call making sure all went well with the install and to answer any questions I may have had.

In closing, here are before and after pics of the jeep. In the end I went from 70 3/4” to 74 1/8” height in the front above the windshield and  73” to 75 3/4” height in the rear of the jeep with the hard top installed.

Before

After

Road Test
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:26:41 PM by unl1mtd »

RavineJK
2010 JK-U Rubicon Rescue Green, 2" RE lift, 35" Goodyears, Solid diff covers
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: