Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 26, 2019, 02:59:08 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U-Pol Raptor Liner  (Read 5513 times)
Collison
Forum User
Christiansburg, VA
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »

One of the mods I had always wanted to do was to bed line the interior of my jeep.
Why?
   Easier to clean out after trips.
   Protection for the tub from the elements. (I did find some significant rust on drivers side floor board)
   It looks good.

I spent many a nights researching different brands and application techniques all over the web.
For me it came down to spray on and affordable.

I narrowed it down to 2 brands, Al's and U-Pol.
Ended up choosing U-Pol's Raptor Liner. It comes with the spray gun too.

So I've had this box in my garage for probably 3 or 4 months just waiting for the weather to favor the installation.
I knew yesterday was going to be the perfect day to spray it so I spent the last few nights prepping the interior.

First things first. Strip EVERYTHING out.

You can still see mud in some of the cracks and crevices from past trips.
A good scrub down with a hose, soapy water and a scrubby brush will remove most of the dirt.

Next step is to prep the surfaces that are to be sprayed.
I chose to use a paint stripper/rust remover to take care of the rust on the floorboard and to strip the paint.

This may have been a little overkill as the directions say a 80 grit sandpaper would suffice but it was significantly easier and faster.
After I finished "sanding" I wiped everything down really good with some acetone to remove the contaminates.

Rolled the Jeep out of the garage into the driveway to finish the last step of the prep.
Taping off the edges I used some high quality painters tape and heavy plastic to drape.

Earplugs work great to fill in bolt holes! I didnt have enough though so I just rolled painters tape into cone shapes and shoved it in.

With everything taped off, plastic draped over everything else that could catch overspray and all the bolt holes filled it is time to spray!
I used 3 of the bottles on the initial application. I sprayed the difficult areas first, ie behind the pedals up along firewall and the vertical surfaces.

I used the fourth bottle as a finish/touch up coat. Waiting one hour between coats and spraying over everything again to get a even finish coat and thicken up the high traffic areas.

This stuff is really hard to get off your hands so I would recommend a pair of gloves when spraying.

I waited another hour or so to give the liner time to thicken up and started to remove the tape and plastic.
It was kind of like unwrapping a birthday present.

I recommend keeping a little product from the last bottle.
As I unwrapped and peeled away I did find two spots that needed additional spray.

I left the Jeep out in the sun for the rest of the day, covered it with a tarp last night, and am leaving it out again most of the day today to help the liner cure properly. Plus it still has a really strong smell.

The instructions say light duty after 2-3 days and normal use 5-6 days later.
I will be reinstalling the interior mon or tues and will post more pics of the finished product.

Overall I am really impressed with the Raptor Liner. It applied really easy and looks great!
I will post in the future if I have any issues with quality, peeling or fading over time.

Collison

05 Rubicon on 35's
cococj
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »

That looks fantastic  Thumbs Up

06 LJ RUBI, 98 XJ, 15 JKU RUBI, 17 JK RUBI
BirdsFanVa
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »

That looks fantastic  Thumbs Up

X2

That looks awesome.  Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »

Nice job, it looks good. The bedlined tub makes cleaning SOOO much easier. I just take my drain plugs out, and hose it down

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
nadeaux
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

Looks great.  Thumbs Up  I've been wanting to do this for a while now.

overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

What no random pink spots? Looks great!

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: